Piece-Rate Pay In California: When Employers Break The Law

There are lots of ways to get compensation for a job. Some people are paid a salary. Others are paid an hourly wage and others a commission. Still more are paid at piece rate, meaning they're reimbursed for each piece they complete — each car they repair, service they provide, item they sell, or project they deliver on.

A major problem happens when California employers use piece-rate pay as an excuse to break the law. For example, they fail to pay workers who are waiting around between jobs or they require employees to do other work for which no wages could be earned under the pay plan. They tell their employees they will be reimbursed only for the jobs they complete. If no customers come in, that means long days where periods of time involve no pay.

Overtime, Minimum Wage And Piece-Rate Pay Plans

If you are spending a long time waiting around for customers without getting paid for each and every hour worked, your employer could be breaking the law. California courts have said workers must be paid at least minimum wage for all hours worked in the payroll period, whether the compensation they receive is measured by time, piece, commission or another method. There are a few different ways that overtime pay can be calculated for piece-rate pay.

Seeking legal counsel is the best way to protect your rights. If you have not been paid for overtime work, are being denied overtime pay or have pay stubs that prove you are not being paid minimum wage, you should consult with an attorney at Righetti • Glugoski, P.C.

Our lawyers are familiar with the nuances of piece-rate pay in California, an employee's rights in a piece-rate pay claim and how to deal with challenges involving employers. We represent both individuals and groups in class action claims involving piece-rate pay.

Call For A Free Consultation To Discuss Your Situation

Contact us for an immediate, complimentary and private consultation about the pay your employer owes you. You may call us at 415-983-0900 or 800-447-5549 or simply complete an online contact form. We highly respect your privacy and will not tell your employer you asked for legal help.